Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Life is like riding a bike........

Several years ago  my sister got sick.  After months of testing, it was determined that she was having a bout with MS.  She went through hell over a period of time with pain,  medications, shots etc.  It took a long time ,but she got well and knock on wood she stays that way. I have several friends as well who suffer from MS. Just recently, a friend of mine had a biopsy done on her brain because they found what appeared to be a tumor.  Her vision is blurred and she shakes. She is in a lot of pain and my heart goes out to her. After many hospitals visits and a biopsy, they diagnosed her with MS.  I have several stories like this.

A few years ago, my sister told me that she signed up for the MS City to Shore 150 Bike Ride.  It goes from Patco Woodcrest in Cherry Hill to Ocean City, NJ.  The ride is 75 miles long.  You have the option to ride back the following day. She signed up for this alone. I joined with her. I believe in the cause and I couldn't let her do it alone. After I registered, I bought a bike.  I hadn't been on a bike in many years. I rode a mile and was exhausted.  I continued to train and before you know it I was going 30 miles.  The first year we rode was so rewarding.  Crossing that finish line after riding all day was exhilarating.  Having a crowd of people ( including out family) cheering us on was immeasurable .

The next year we grew from a team of 2 to a team of 18. We had jerseys made, became The Cyclones and raised an impressive amount of money for the cause.  The third year we did the same. Each year is more rewardinf and humbling than the last.

The ride is in September and this will be my fourth year riding. The amount of money raised and used to support MS is simply awesome.  There is no cure but there IS us. We try hard to do what we can to provide those with MS the medicine and help they need to get through each and every day. We ride for a cure. What we do is nothing compared to what they go through.  As we ride, we see many, many people with MS on the side of the road, clapping and holding up signs thanking us for helping them. Many of them would give their last dollar to simply be able to ride a bike.  I have a great appreciation of how many people with MS live each day to the fullest. They are positive. They give me balance.


If you can find it in your heart (and wallet ) to help me help them, you would be creating a world of change.


* link is to the top right of my page.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving". Albert Einstein

No comments:

Post a Comment