Monday, April 18, 2011

When it rains, it pours!

I went to bed at about 9:30 p.m Saturday night.  Well,  I laid down about that time. Obviously it was an exciting night for me to go to bed so early.  I do get up early for work and had no plans, so to bed I went.  Before I went to bed, I threw the load of wash I had just done ( which really livened up the already exciting night) into the dryer.

I laid down , turned on the T.V and fell asleep pretty quickly. It was raining heavily and thundering  and it kept waking me up.  At about 11:45, my sister (she lives with me along with my nephew who I call Schmushy who was at his dad's for the weekend) came home from work and came in my room to tell me that the house was smoking** and the basement seemed to be flooding. I got up and the house was all smoky.  Apparently, the heavy rain caused a quick flooding because the basement was dry when I was down there two hours previously.   The dryer ( which is on bricks) must have gotten wet and it was hot so it starting smoking. Perfect.  The water down there wasn't that bad,  I checked to make sure the sump pump was working and the dryer was off and I went back to bed.

** side note. last week, I was at work and my sister called because the carbon monoxide detector on the main floor was going off.  I told her it may just be the battery but to go outside and call the fire dept.  Per the fire dept.  after 5 years they usually start to malfunction.  I disconnected it.  It hadn't been replaced it yet.  Of course, once I don't have a detector, I have a potential fire hazard.  Yesterday, I put a new one up. Lesson learned.

I woke up yesterday morning to the sound of  a sump pump really trying to do it's job.  I got up and opened the basement door.  The sump pump is fired because it failed miserably. There was water everywhere.  Many inches of it.  I went down and picked up all the clothes on the floor ( the basement is unfinished and we tend to throw our clothes down there and just do the wash). And so it began.

I should ( but do not ) have a wet vac. My sister called a friend who was on his way out the door but left it out for us to pick up.  We went and got it.  After 4 trips of filling it, getting it up the basement steps and out the door ( which resulted in my sister scraping her hand, getting her toe caught in the step which resulted in an instant bruise, the lid coming off as we lifted the wet vac up the steps and smacking her right in the face, which resulted in a pee your pants laugh by me for about five minutes), my mom texted me that she could bring over her pool pump. Brilliant!!!  She is a rocket scientist!!  She brought it over and we connected the hose to it and out the basement window.  It was draining, but slowly.  I have no patience for 'slowly' but it was better than using the wet vac. My mom left and my sister went to work.   My mom came back a little later and I asked if I could put the pool pump right in the sump pump hole.  This was dumb.  Of course you can put a pool pump in a pool of water - that's what it is for you idiot.  She didn't say that but that's what I thought after I asked the question.  So I did, after that it was smooth sailing.. (no pun intended since I had an ocean in my basement).    I then proceeded to do all of the wash so everything didn't get ruined. Some things met their untimely death, but the rest was saved.

So bottom line is  my day sucked. Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. Hey.

    I saw this post and I thought of you.
    http://www.momblogmagazine.com/index/2011/04/hard-truth-youll-never-make-it-online-if-you-stay-on-the-internet/

    About 10 years ago, you most likely know this, the apts by Stutz's caught fire from flood. Glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete