Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Very Potter Musical.. and all my rambling in between

I was on babysitting duty last night. During the day at work, I asked my coworkers for ideas on what to do with my nephew. He is 8.  I didn't want to sit in the house all night and watch TV.  We do much more of that than should be legal. A few ideas were roller skating: he doesn't know how to skate and I haven't done that in about 25 years so that was a big fat NO since we would most likely spend the rest of the night in the E.R.   Another suggestion was the movies  which is basically watching a really big TV just not at home. NO.

Then someone asked if my nephew ( we will call him Schmushy) liked Harry Potter. um DUH.  Of course he does,  he loves Harry Potter more than I love cheese..which is a lot. He showed me an article in the paper that a local college was hosting a Very Potter Musical.  I never heard of it. Apparently, I live in a bubble because it's a huge You Tube phenomenon. AND it was free. Since my paycheck looked like a pile of puke, I thought this was a great idea.  I called on the way home from work and asked if he wanted to go. He responded just as I would if I had won the $312 mega million lottery ( which I did NOT). Then I called my mom.   Gotta love the Momma Bear.   I told her how pretty she was to prime her than asked if she wanted to join us.  I was somewhat familiar with the college and had no idea where to find where the play was. I get a little spazzy if I don't have help if I get lost and I also figured it would be nice for us to all go together ( and it was free :).

Then I decided it would be nice to go get something to eat first. I asked Schmushy if he wanted to go to Friendly's.  I think he almost peed a little.  He was so excited to get his double chocolate fudge whatever its called sundae. So Momma Bear, Schmushy and I go to Friendly's . We eat a crappy dinner, he gets a Warrior Helmet with wings  made out of balloons, the most ridiculously huge root beer ever and ice cream.  He is now ready to go all and  nice and sugared up! ( This portion of the program is NOT free :)

 Anyway,  we get the college and find out way surprisingly easily and early.   The room has tables and chairs set up for the audience. It looked pretty full so I was glad to get there early. We get a table and we sit. It ended up extremely crowded and the girl announced that people had to 'scoot in' and get away from the walls as it creating a fire hazard, They were not expecting a large crowd. So now I am all like ok, this is a big deal (that I never heard of) you advertised in the paper but you weren't expecting a big crowd?.  That makes perfect sense.  Lots of kids, older folk , college kids etc.

The show starts.  I realize pretty quickly that its more of a spoof of  Harry Potter.  But it's pretty funny.  They all look like college kids ( I have now learned that there are different casts). They curse.  At first I was a little like Oh shit are we going to have to leave because this is going to be inappropriate? Schmuschy is 8 and knows not to curse.  As a matter of fact, he keeps a curse jar. If you curse you owe a dollar.  Many people owe the curse jar money but have yet to pay up.  But he is old enough to handle the word shit here and there.  The theory behind this show is genius.  It really is. It was very entertaining, semi kid friendly ( a few things went right over all the kids heads , which is a good thing).  It was a musical  but the singing sucked..  like really bad sucked. I am guessing that this cast was pretty new to this ( hence it was free). The acting was ok but because the play was written so well and it was funny you didn't really notice that all of the time.  The kid who played Voldemort  was excellent, as was obvious by the applause for him at the end of the show. It was long though. Too long.. it lasted about 3 hours which , in my opinion is a bit too long, for a half decent acting, terrible singing show. Having said that something about it worked and worked well.

If they shorten it up, take a few singing and acting lessons they will be able to charge admission to this and they will make a killing!  All in all I give a thumb and a half up! Schmushy gives it 2 thumbs up.. If I had to guess, I would say Momma gives it a thumb and a nub up!

No comments:

Post a Comment